[Talk-ca] Building Canada 2020 OSMGeoWeek Mapathons

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 16:31:11 UTC 2017

On 19/10/2017 16:53, Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

> But one thing is for sure if we want to do university to community
> collaboration, and we want to experiment, teach and learn, flexibility
> is required and maybe sandbox practice spaces or testing space.

Absolutely - I've become something of a broken record on OSM's mailing
lists suggesting that people try things out on OSM's "dev" server or
some other sandbox, and create their own copy of OSM's rendering server
so that they can test out map style changes.  Using a different server
will have knock-on effects if you're relying on other tools outside of
OSM though (e.g. Mapillary - you'd need to talk to them about whether
they can create something that works with a test server).

Before you started the assignment did you ask about any kind of sandbox
(or even "ask about what you needed to ask about"?).  It's great that
the local OSM community have got involved with help students out at eg.
https://github.com/TraceyLauriault/COMS2200A , but I suspect that a bit
more warning might have avoided people been taken by surprise.  "Find
your local OSM community and talk to them about what you're planning to
do" would probably be the 0th thing that I'd suggest for any academic
project like this.

Additionally, it'd be great to know what other specifc feedback you have
for other people planning similar things.  If there are specific
outstanding general questions maybe
https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/ might be a good place to ask
them?  It's not well suited to questions relevant to one mapper only but
it's great for "how do I find out how to do XYZ with Overpass" or similar.

Best Regards,

Andy