[Talk-ca] High resolution Air photos for New Brunswick

Bernie Connors bernie.connors at unb.ca
Fri Sep 15 14:15:48 UTC 2017

James,

      I have not undertaken an overall assessment of the Esri World Imagery
basemap.  However, I was responsible for the QC of the most recent, high
resolution, urban aerial photography that was collected in 2015 and 2016 in
several dozen NB communities.  This photography was collected by Pictometry
for the provincial government and its primary use is for property
assessment.  I have reviewed the reports for the ground control, aerial
triangulation and orthorectification.  The province opted to purchase the
AccuPLUS orthophoto product from Pictometry which has a higher level of
human intervention in the selection of the images that are used to prepare
the orthophotos.  This results in orthophotos with a minimum of "building
lean".  When compared to the provincial GIS datasets available from GeoNB
[1] the alignment was very good.  Additionally I have heard from several
municipal GIS managers and they are also very impressed with the horizontal
accuracy of the Pictometry AccuPLUS orthophotos.  If I had to put a number
to the horizontal accuracy of the Pictometry orthophotos in NB I would say
it is better than 15 cm.

      The province of New Brunswick participates in Esri Canada's Community
Maps Program.  Through this program we contribute GIS data (orthophotos and
vectors) that are used to update the Esri World Imagery basemap and the
Esri World Topographic basemap.  Many other communities across Canada also
participate in the program [2].  If these communities are contributing
their municipal orthophotos to the program it is safe to say that the Esri
World Imagery basemap is very accurate within these communities.

[1] - GeoNB Data Catalogue - http://www.snb.ca/geonb1/e/DC/catalogue-E.asp
[2] - Esri Canada Community Maps participants -
http://maps.esri.ca/updates/tracking/

Bernie.

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 10:35 AM, James <james2432 at gmail.com> wrote:

> How well is the ESRI Imagery aligned with the real world (in General)?
>
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 9:32 AM, Bernie Connors <bernie.connors at unb.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>

>>                 My apologies if this has already been mentioned on this
>> list.  The Esri World Imagery basemap is now available as a background
>> image for OpenStreetMap editors.  In New Brunswick the provincial
>> government has contributed hundreds of square kilometres of high
>> resolution, urban air photos to the Esri World Imagery basemap.  There
>> are thousands of buildings and other features that require editing so they
>> match the newer, hi-resolution imagery in the Esri World Imagery basemap.
>> This area in Fredericton is a good example [1] (start an edit session and
>> choose the Esri World Imagery background).  I posted to my blog with a
>> few more details [2]
>>

>> [1] - http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/45.96139/-66.64951
>>
>> [2] - http://geobern.blogspot.ca/2017/08/esri-world-imagery-in-o
>> penstreetmap.html