[Talk-ca] Formatting of Municipality Names

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Mon Feb 12 23:15:20 UTC 2018

> i believe "city of" is redundant as its a classification vs a name.
> Would we say "village of maniwaki"? nope.

What "we say" and what "OSM tags" can vary slightly.  Although with names, "what we say" is a great place to start and very largely correct.  This is a topic which can explode quickly, smearing into many linguistic zones.  We define an official_name value at https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Key:name and short_name and loc_name can get in on the act in some cases.

There are places and circumstances where preceding a city's name with "City of" is "a very correct answer."  So, sort that out, if we would, please.

We (California) have a city which nearly everybody in all circumstances calls Ventura which is "officially" San Buenaventura.  Stuff like this happens.  Then, there might be a "linguistic register" (like in a legal pleading) where "The City of San Buenaventura" is "just what the doctor ordered" acceptably correct.

It appears that "City of Toronto" being roughly 91% of a six-figure-strong consensus is a clear winner.  However, Kevin Farrugia says something different.  We listen, we consider, we allow consensus to emerge and the bold pull triggers.  By that I mean "clean up what we now agree needs correcting."

OSM is so delightfully human and organic.  I'm so glad we so widely speak amongst ourselves.

SteveA