[Talk-ca] Formatting of Municipality Names

James james2432 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 02:07:07 UTC 2018

Checked for Toronto and Ottawa they do not have "City of" :
http://www4.rncan.gc.ca/search-place-names/search?q=Toronto&theme[]=985&category=O
I agree with what Bernie said, unless it's the official name. It seems it's
a classification.

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:02 PM, Bernie Connors <bernie.connors at unb.ca>
wrote:

> I see the use of "City of" as indicating the official name of a
> municipality as it is defined in legislation. Here in New Brunswick the
> Municipalities Act‎ defines the official names of municipalities. Some opt
> to use "City of ", "Town of ", etc in the Municipalities Act and some
> don't. But when it comes to names on maps we should be more concerned with
> toponyms and not official names. The use of "City of ", "Town of ", etc is
> very rare in toponyms.  Here is a query on the Canadian Geographic Names
> Database searching for the term "of" in the "populated places" category -
> http://www4.rncan.gc.ca/search-place-names/search?q=
> of&theme%5B%5D=985&category=O
>
> I only see two examples that include "City of ", "Town of ", etc across
> the entire country:
> City of Brant, ON
> Village of Queen Charlotte, BC
>
> Bernie.
>
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 7:45 PM, OSM Volunteer stevea <
> steveaOSM at softworkers.com> wrote:
>
>> I smell a harmonization with admin_level...not that there's anything
>> wrong with that.
>> SteveA

> --
> Bernie Connors