[Talk-ca] Formatting of Municipality Names

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Fri Feb 16 21:00:36 UTC 2018

Chiming in as a years-long resident-neighbour of St. Catharines, I
have to concur - it is always abbreviated - city's official
https://www.stcatharines.ca/en/ , regional government e.g.
https://www.niagararegion.ca/transit/routes.aspx

St. James's Park and St. John's Wood in London in England are "St."s
too, not expanded.

--Jarek

On 16 February 2018 at 21:56, OSM Volunteer stevea
<steveaOSM at softworkers.com> wrote:
> We (the USA) has many sources which "say" St. Louis (Missouri) but OSM has name=Saint Louis.  The latter is correct in an OSM context.  Following our wiki, CAN the name be spelled without an abbreviation?"  If yes, then please do so.
>
> Thanks,
> SteveA
>
>> On Feb 16, 2018, at 12:50 PM, James <james2432 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> http://saultstemarie.ca/
>>
>> thats how its written. even on signs to there
>>
>> On Feb 16, 2018 3:47 PM, "OSM Volunteer stevea" <steveaOSM at softworkers.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 16, 2018, at 9:41 AM, Matthew Darwin <matthew at mdarwin.ca> wrote:
>> > St. Catharines, St. Thomas, Sault Ste. Marie
>>
>> I dislike sounding nit-picky, this really is meant as constructive criticism, but let's expand these names so there are no abbreviations.  Our wiki https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Names says "If the name can be spelled without an abbreviation, then don't abbreviate it."
>>
>> Thanks,
>> SteveA

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski
I have a PGP key: 0xD8B00764962E826B