[Talk-ca] Formatting of Municipality Names

Matthew Darwin matthew at mdarwin.ca
Sat Feb 17 00:13:02 UTC 2018

In my OSM map updates to remove of "City of" and similar prefixes from
locality names, I will not be expanding any "St", "Ste" or any other
abbreviations of those names.  If the name (minus the prefix to be
removed) matches what is in NRCan database, I will remove the prefix;
if it doesn't, I will bring it back up here for review.

I occasionally get "Saint John, NB" and "St. John's, NL" confused, so
personally I do not want the city name in Newfoundland expanded to add
to my confusion.   :-)

What's your favourite locality name in Canada?  I have to go with
"Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!"