[Talk-ca] Cleanup of addr:country, addr:province, addr:state

Matthew Darwin matthew at mdarwin.ca
Mon Feb 19 15:21:16 UTC 2018

I want to bump up this thread to see what other opinions are out
there.  If you are supportive to remove the addr:province and
addr:country tags in Canada, please speak up.  I don't like making big
changes with only 1 comment.  (If you like, feel free to reply
privately to me avoid bombarding the list with "me too" and I will
summarize the replies on the list).  Prior to starting this
discussion, I too have been removing these tags when I come across
them (a few places in London, ON had country=US???)

Alternately my proposal would be to:

  * change addr:state => addr:province
  * add ~2.7 million missing  addr:province / addr:country where they
    don't exist
  * an then then to standardize what we are putting into those
    fields.  eg for addr:province in Ontario: ON, on, Ontario,
    ONTARIO, Ont, ont, or the several other variations that exist
    today.  ("ON" is most popular, followed by "Ontario")

If you don't like either of the above, I would really like to hear why
having the tags in some places but not others is a good thing. As you
may have noticed based on my posts over the last few weeks that I like
to have things (more) consistent, unless there is a (good) reason not
to be consistent.