[Talk-ca] Cleanup of addr:country, addr:province, addr:state

Matthew Darwin matthew at mdarwin.ca
Mon Feb 19 17:14:41 UTC 2018

Hi John,

If we want to be able generate mailing addresses from OSM (is that a
valid use case?), then whatever the city address Canada Post thinks we
are in needs to be tagged in some fashion.   Google maps and Bing maps
both think I'm in "Kanata".  OSM thinks I'm in "Kanata North". Both
are correct, in different ways.

If I we want to do reverse geo coding using OSM data, then the mailing
address should be represented in some fashion because that's what
people expect to see.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:addr says about addr:city:
/May not be required if boundary=administrative
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative> is
used correctly. May or may not be a clone of is_in:city
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:is_in:city>=* (in some places
the city in the address corresponds to the post office that serves the
area rather than the actual city, if any, in which the building is
located)! The name of the city as given in *postal addresses* of the
building/area. /(emphasis added)

BTW, this is one of the reasons I started all these discussions about
aligning Canada OSM data... I was trying to use OSM to build a map for
a community group and rather than just doing post-cleanup work on the
map data in my own private copy, I thought it might be better to see
what data we could align and make useful for everyone.  I'll only take
it as far as consensus is achieved.