[Talk-ca] Talk-ca Digest, Vol 120, Issue 53

Jonathan Brown jonabrow at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 21:35:23 UTC 2018


Hi, Keith. I’m in the same predicament. The OSM community tell me that it may be possible, but not in the short run. We are using the BC2020i framework for our March 29 event that Durham Region’s Open Data folks are hosting. One idea is to have the students add trees to OSM. For accessibility, you should see what Clifford Snow is doing with postsecondary students from the the Taskar Centre. 

Jonathan 

From: talk-ca-request at openstreetmap.org
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:07 PM
To: talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
Subject: Talk-ca Digest, Vol 120, Issue 53

Send Talk-ca mailing list submissions to
	talk-ca at openstreetmap.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ca
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	talk-ca-request at openstreetmap.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
	talk-ca-owner at openstreetmap.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Talk-ca digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Manitoba buildings, addresses and high school work (keith hartley)
   2. Re: Manitoba buildings, addresses and high school work
      (john whelan)
   3. Re: Manitoba buildings, addresses and high school work (James)
   4. Re: Manitoba buildings, addresses and high school work
      (keith hartley)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 09:31:44 -0600
From: keith hartley <keith.a.hartley at gmail.com>
To: Talk-CA OpenStreetMap <talk-ca at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: [Talk-ca] Manitoba buildings, addresses and high school work
Message-ID:
	<CAP9rf0kA0BpeFdhHWWuKKk7n9cs56TYqbQCNyDSoOEyJWXpysw at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

 Hi OSM'ers

I am working on adding buildings to OSM in Manitoba and have a few
questions. I was just offered an updated building footprint and address
shape file from the City of Brandon, and agreement that it can be used in
OSM. I understand that the license needs to be compliant with the OSMs of
course, and will email the licensing group. The City uses a open data
license similar to Ottawa's (can be seen here http://opengov.brandon.ca/
terms.aspx) I can get  written consent in an email if need be as well.
Currently the buildings are from the Manitoba land initiative website (MLI)
and I can see that the city of Brandon Data is much more accurate (in both
attributes and position) I will review the current data. Is there anything
else I should be doing before I upload this?

The plan is to have high school students look at the map and using walking
maps or equivalent data capture (android app) to find what is accessible
for people with mobility issues around their schools. I'll write the
results on a wiki to show our successes. Anyone else have good ideas how to
get students to add to the map? (with teacher oversight of course!)

Cheers,
Keith
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/attachments/20180228/493b8990/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 11:51:34 -0500
From: john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com>
To: keith hartley <keith.a.hartley at gmail.com>
Cc: Talk-CA OpenStreetMap <talk-ca at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] Manitoba buildings, addresses and high school
	work
Message-ID:
	<CAJ-Ex1HfCXUxhoOfQkCt9SxFL_8=6-sWxX0B-cfKD95pA5k9jw at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Similar to does not mean the same unless it is the TB Open Data license but
I suspect it predates that one.  Given that Stats Canada has said it will
make the data available through the Federal Government's Open Data portal
real soon now I suspect that an email from the city even to yourself would
be acceptable.

There is an import process speak nicely to James and he may be kind enough
to handhold you through it.

The LWG will give an opinion on the license but it could take some
considerable time to do so.

The import needs to be approved by a the local community.  In Ottawa two or
three local mappers gathered together over coffee to approve it.  I think
there were more than three.

Given your suspected time frames its probably best to document the import
fairly quickly.  That way it allows for those mappers who feel imports are
terrible to have their say.

Cheerio John

On 28 February 2018 at 10:31, keith hartley <keith.a.hartley at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi OSM'ers
>
> I am working on adding buildings to OSM in Manitoba and have a few
> questions. I was just offered an updated building footprint and address
> shape file from the City of Brandon, and agreement that it can be used in
> OSM. I understand that the license needs to be compliant with the OSMs of
> course, and will email the licensing group. The City uses a open data
> license similar to Ottawa's (can be seen here
> http://opengov.brandon.ca/terms.aspx) I can get  written consent in an
> email if need be as well. Currently the buildings are from the Manitoba
> land initiative website (MLI) and I can see that the city of Brandon Data
> is much more accurate (in both attributes and position) I will review the
> current data. Is there anything else I should be doing before I upload
> this?
>
> The plan is to have high school students look at the map and using walking
> maps or equivalent data capture (android app) to find what is accessible
> for people with mobility issues around their schools. I'll write the
> results on a wiki to show our successes. Anyone else have good ideas how to
> get students to add to the map? (with teacher oversight of course!)
>
> Cheers,
> Keith
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-ca mailing list
> Talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ca
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/attachments/20180228/9c5ec8c2/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 11:59:13 -0500
From: James <james2432 at gmail.com>
To: john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com>
Cc: keith hartley <keith.a.hartley at gmail.com>, Talk-CA OpenStreetMap
	<talk-ca at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] Manitoba buildings, addresses and high school
	work
Message-ID:
	<CANk4qi_gDux4-H6xEYeHCnjoa8JgVij0vrkUp8v8vTt5GSa9YA at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Before Scruss comes out and says it:
1. Wiki documentation
2. You need to get LWG to approve license as it's not a standard license.
Explicit permission can certainly help our case.

After license is approved we could move on to approval of data quality,
then submit it for revue on import list(p.s. if it's crappy data they are
going to tell you about how it's crappy)

After all that(maybe 1-2 years later) can we move on to the serving of data
via a tasking manager and start the import

On Feb 28, 2018 11:54 AM, "john whelan" <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Similar to does not mean the same unless it is the TB Open Data license
> but I suspect it predates that one.  Given that Stats Canada has said it
> will make the data available through the Federal Government's Open Data
> portal real soon now I suspect that an email from the city even to yourself
> would be acceptable.
>
> There is an import process speak nicely to James and he may be kind enough
> to handhold you through it.
>
> The LWG will give an opinion on the license but it could take some
> considerable time to do so.
>
> The import needs to be approved by a the local community.  In Ottawa two
> or three local mappers gathered together over coffee to approve it.  I
> think there were more than three.
>
> Given your suspected time frames its probably best to document the import
> fairly quickly.  That way it allows for those mappers who feel imports are
> terrible to have their say.
>
> Cheerio John
>
> On 28 February 2018 at 10:31, keith hartley <keith.a.hartley at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi OSM'ers
>>
>> I am working on adding buildings to OSM in Manitoba and have a few
>> questions. I was just offered an updated building footprint and address
>> shape file from the City of Brandon, and agreement that it can be used in
>> OSM. I understand that the license needs to be compliant with the OSMs of
>> course, and will email the licensing group. The City uses a open data
>> license similar to Ottawa's (can be seen here
>> http://opengov.brandon.ca/terms.aspx) I can get  written consent in an
>> email if need be as well. Currently the buildings are from the Manitoba
>> land initiative website (MLI) and I can see that the city of Brandon Data
>> is much more accurate (in both attributes and position) I will review the
>> current data. Is there anything else I should be doing before I upload
>> this?
>>
>> The plan is to have high school students look at the map and using
>> walking maps or equivalent data capture (android app) to find what is
>> accessible for people with mobility issues around their schools. I'll write
>> the results on a wiki to show our successes. Anyone else have good ideas
>> how to get students to add to the map? (with teacher oversight of course!)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Keith
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Talk-ca mailing list
>> Talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ca
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-ca mailing list
> Talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ca
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/attachments/20180228/bca138ba/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 12:06:27 -0600
From: keith hartley <keith.a.hartley at gmail.com>
To: James <james2432 at gmail.com>
Cc: Talk-CA OpenStreetMap <talk-ca at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] Manitoba buildings, addresses and high school
	work
Message-ID:
	<CAP9rf0knFjGizB9tQXLHsM1CYXEGHyB=Hzr1MuiTQ5XVEwYABA at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

More intriguing with Brandon, there's tons of buildings already there from
the MLI source... dated from 2011, how did they get there?
I emailed the user to get more info - but they were last mapping 5 years
ago!

For the purposes of the high school work - I could use the current building
footprints, if we're waiting for a year - any good ideas how to get
students to add if a building is accessible/not accessible?

After I can work though the process similar to what James has said,
luckily, unlike Ottawa, Brandon is a much smaller place. I have a few other
cities that we might be able to work with once I have a solid process set
up.

Rural Manitoba also poses a big challenge - Specially as we have two
different addressing systems - But that's another email rant.

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 10:59 AM, James <james2432 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Before Scruss comes out and says it:
> 1. Wiki documentation
> 2. You need to get LWG to approve license as it's not a standard license.
> Explicit permission can certainly help our case.
>
> After license is approved we could move on to approval of data quality,
> then submit it for revue on import list(p.s. if it's crappy data they are
> going to tell you about how it's crappy)
>
> After all that(maybe 1-2 years later) can we move on to the serving of
> data via a tasking manager and start the import
>
> On Feb 28, 2018 11:54 AM, "john whelan" <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Similar to does not mean the same unless it is the TB Open Data license
>> but I suspect it predates that one.  Given that Stats Canada has said it
>> will make the data available through the Federal Government's Open Data
>> portal real soon now I suspect that an email from the city even to yourself
>> would be acceptable.
>>
>> There is an import process speak nicely to James and he may be kind
>> enough to handhold you through it.
>>
>> The LWG will give an opinion on the license but it could take some
>> considerable time to do so.
>>
>> The import needs to be approved by a the local community.  In Ottawa two
>> or three local mappers gathered together over coffee to approve it.  I
>> think there were more than three.
>>
>> Given your suspected time frames its probably best to document the import
>> fairly quickly.  That way it allows for those mappers who feel imports are
>> terrible to have their say.
>>
>> Cheerio John
>>
>> On 28 February 2018 at 10:31, keith hartley <keith.a.hartley at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi OSM'ers
>>>
>>> I am working on adding buildings to OSM in Manitoba and have a few
>>> questions. I was just offered an updated building footprint and address
>>> shape file from the City of Brandon, and agreement that it can be used in
>>> OSM. I understand that the license needs to be compliant with the OSMs of
>>> course, and will email the licensing group. The City uses a open data
>>> license similar to Ottawa's (can be seen here
>>> http://opengov.brandon.ca/terms.aspx) I can get  written consent in an
>>> email if need be as well. Currently the buildings are from the Manitoba
>>> land initiative website (MLI) and I can see that the city of Brandon Data
>>> is much more accurate (in both attributes and position) I will review the
>>> current data. Is there anything else I should be doing before I upload
>>> this?
>>>
>>> The plan is to have high school students look at the map and using
>>> walking maps or equivalent data capture (android app) to find what is
>>> accessible for people with mobility issues around their schools. I'll write
>>> the results on a wiki to show our successes. Anyone else have good ideas
>>> how to get students to add to the map? (with teacher oversight of course!)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Keith
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Talk-ca mailing list
>>> Talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
>>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ca
>>>
>>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Talk-ca mailing list
>> Talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ca
>>
>>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/attachments/20180228/41d9f2cf/attachment.html>

------------------------------

Subject: Digest Footer

_______________________________________________
Talk-ca mailing list
Talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ca


------------------------------

End of Talk-ca Digest, Vol 120, Issue 53
****************************************

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/attachments/20180228/30a02ca0/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Talk-ca mailing list