[Talk-ca] A message aimed more at Ottawa

Harald Kliems kliems at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 22:15:42 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 3:56 PM john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps what we need is a way to tag cycle friendly streets.  Typically
> I'll use a mixture of minor side streets and paths when using the trike.
>
> So I'd prefer a routing that used these as much as possible rather than
> more major collector roads and you can't always determine from the speed
> limit if it's a cycle friendly road or not although I too avoid highways
> with a speed limit above 40 km/h.

There are efforts to identify bike-friendly streets based on OSM attributes
(and possibly additional data such as traffic counts). People for Bikes, a
large industry-sponsored advocacy org in the US has put money forward to
take the concept of "Traffic level of stress" and then use OSM-data to
calculate whether a specific street and intersection is low-stress or
high-stress. You can find a SOTM-US talk about the "Bicycle Network
Analaysis" project here:
https://2017.stateofthemap.us/program/bicycle-network-analysis.html

https://bna.peopleforbikes.org/#/

The bike advocacy group I'm involved with here in Madison (WI) has been
using the map/data generated through the Bicycle Network Analysis process,
and we're working on a validation process to a) figure out where our local
knowledge disagrees with the calculated stress value and then b) figure out
whether that's an issue of the underlying OSM data (spoiler alert: in many
cases it is) or a different issue. Happy to answer any questions about this.

 Harald (formerly Montreal, and therefore still subscribed to talk-ca)