[Talk-ca] BC2020i and Mapathons with High Schools

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Wed Jan 24 02:14:32 UTC 2018

On Jan 23, 2018, at 5:53 PM, john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It should have been 60 per hour.  Apols.  I can probably map at one per five seconds but new mappers did and will take much longer.  The iD figures of four to twenty buildings per mapathon session are real numbers.
OK, you're right:  60 BPH is what you're saying.   Both your numbers and the 4-20 BPMs (buildings-per-mapathon, not to be confused with buildings-per-minute) look respectable.  I might be saying there are "sixty of those" and at a university mapathon or something like that you might get there.   1 BPS = 60 BPM.  So, yeah!  OSM is organic, it moves in fits and spurts.

I'm not quite sure what Apols means.  Thanks in advance if you clarify.

> Do look at the steps involved in actual mapping in iD and JOSM.  For buildings in iD its select area four corners, square then select the correct building tag from a number of choices.  Lots of places to make a mistake.
Like efficiency measurements where typing fingers are slow-motion recorded, you've clearly looked at this.  I agree, lots of places to make a mistake which also means improvement is more than possible.

> For JOSM building tool plugin its about three clicks per buildings and it comes squared and tagged.  There is a certain amount of setup but compared to iD the data quality is much much better.  Both Jo and myself have used this approach.  I was not working with high school aged mappers by the way.

Ah, yes, this new thread is about high school students doing BC2020i.  There is some road to pave, "you gotta be this tall" sorting hat thing, though sorting hats sort.

> You need to plan this out very carefully for the best results.

Yep:  planning.  Good.  OSM is organic, it moves and grows in fits and spurts.  Fantastic project.

Fun, isn't it?  (I enjoy this discussion, by the way).  Great talking here.

SteveA
California