[Talk-ca] BC2020 OD_tables wiki and project status

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sat Jan 27 02:56:11 UTC 2018

On Jan 26, 2018, at 6:42 PM, john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm under the impression that Ottawa was the first city to move to the Open Data 2.0 licence created by Treasury Board.
>
> I'm also under the impression that it is the only one that has had its benediction from the legal working group.  Treasury Board of Canada put quite a lot of effort into updating their 1.0 license and aligning their 2.0 license with other organisations.  I don't believe their 1.0 license meets OSM licensing requirements.
>
> I seem to recall they have a municipality kit to assist municipalities with Open Data.
>
> There seems to be rather more green boxes than I would have expected.  I would hope they all have been approved by the Legal Working Group or are an exact clone of the TB municipality one as Ottawa is.

What I did was to "back-populate" the list of "approved" (by whom?  when?  how did these get here?) list of Canadian cities from
https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Contributors#Canadian_Municipalities

into OSM's BC2020 wiki.

OK, we know Ottawa should be green:  check.

A couple (Edmonton, Yellowknife) imply contradictions:  an entry on the Contributors page, but a status in the table which says "nope, can't use data with this licence."  Those are yellow, meaning "need disambiguation:"  check.

Toronto is yellow, as its licence is said to be "under discussion since early 2017."  Check.

Vancouver is green, as it is on the Contributors page (implying its licence is OK) and its "Completion in OSM" is yellow and says "In Progress."  Seems like a "check."

Montreal is green, (ditto), yet its "Completion in OSM" is red and says "0% complete."  Check.

Surrey, York, Halifax and Gatineau are green, (ditto), and their "Completion in OSM" cells are simply, well, empty.  So they are empty and colorless.

If there is something incorrect, ANYBODY (in or out of OSM who has a wiki account) can change these to be more accurate!

Capturing ADDITIONAL status harmonization with whatever might be going on in OSM-CA-TM is an ongoing bit of work to be done which appears to be only in the most early of contemplation/discussion.

SteveA
California