[Talk-ca] Montréal: Inconsistency in Public Transportation Provider's Name

Jarek Piórkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Thu Jul 12 20:46:52 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Damien's question appears to be about nodes like
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/438843513, which has
name=Berri-UQAM, operator=Société de transport de Montréal.
short_name=STM seems inappropriate here, we could do
operator:short_name=STM or something but it seems a bit much.

The nearby station https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/26233453 has
name=Jean-Drapeau, network=STM, operator=Société de transport de
Montréal which seems like an attempt as good as we might get. Commuter
rail station https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/548900549 has
network=RTM, operator=Réseau de transport métropolitain which fits
that scheme as well. Similar with a random bus line on North Shore

Looking through map very casually I didn't see any operator=STM on the
subway. I did see it on a bus line
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/270258 but changing it to
network=STM and operator=Société de transport de Montréal seems like
it'd be fine there IMO.

To me "operator" looks a bit more little technical than the other
tags, so to me it would be alright to use the longer more formal name.
But I wouldn't edit-war anyone about it. I'd say run a query, see
which is more common currently, ask people here (as you've done), then
after a week change the minority tags to match.

--Jarek