[Talk-ca] Manitoba buildings, addresses and high school work

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Mar 1 15:06:36 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 01.03.2018 16:00, john whelan wrote:
> These are all things that can be added with tools such as street
> complete.  Because you are adding tags to enrich the existing data you
> are unlikely to to draw a building in the wrong place.
>
> I'd go after enriching the existing data first before thinking of
> importing more buildings.

My thinking here would be: 90% of the value of what you produce will be
in the surveyed stuff - as John said, number of levels, type of building
etc.; what he didn't mention but what certainly could also be
interesting to some is the 3D modeling tags like roof shape information
which will make the building look nicer on 3D maps.

If 90% of the value is in the "handmade" stuff anyway, why even depend
on an import for the remaining 10% - isn't there aerial imagery from
which you can trace the building? With proper tooling this is quick and
painless, and a student who has actually "drawn" the houses will feel
much more pride in the resulting map as one who has simply taken
existing data and uploaded it to OSM. One is a creative task, the other
just data mangling. I'm pretty sure students would warm more to the
creative task.

Best
Frederik