[Talk-ca] Building Footprint Upload to OSM

Rob Halko Rob.Halko at durham.ca
Wed Mar 7 18:24:15 UTC 2018

Thanks for your help John,

Is this the license we should be looking at adopting: https://open.canada.ca/en/open-government-licence-canada?

Rob

From: john whelan [mailto:jwhelan0112 at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 9:22 PM
To: Rob Halko <Rob.Halko at durham.ca>
Cc: imports at openstreetmap.org; talk-ca at openstreetmap.org; Jonathan Brown <jonabrow at gmail.com>; Alasia, Alessandro (STATCAN) <alessandro.alasia at canada.ca>
Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] Building Footprint Upload to OSM

I was involved in getting the Ottawa Open Data building outlines into OSM working with Stats Canada.  Based on that experience you need to go through some steps..

Step one concerns the license.  Regional Municipality of Durham open data license almost certainly has not been approved by the LWG.  The choices are formally adopt the Treasury Board license for Open Data as Ottawa has done or ask Alessandro nicely about whether Stats Can can make it available through the TB open data portal.  The third choice would be submit it to the LWG.  The backlog is substantial and I'd expect at least at year, possibly two before gaining approval if they thought it was perfect.
The data can also be formally given to OpenStreetMap, ie supplied but not under your Open data license.  I understand Vancouver followed this route.

One the license is sorted out then there is a further process to follow and that would be tight for March 29th.
I suggest sorting out the license first.
Cheerio John