[Talk-ca] Fwd: Re: Building Canada 2020 (BC2020i) - update Dec 20, 2017

Matthew Darwin matthew at mdarwin.ca
Fri Mar 30 18:28:55 UTC 2018

Forwarded message...

Subject: 	Re: Building Canada 2020 (BC2020i) - update Dec 20, 2017
Date: 	Fri, 30 Mar 2018 13:21:22 -0500
From: 	keith hartley <keith.a.hartley at gmail.com>

Hi building 20/20 list
Last Friday I worked with one of my colleagues and a high school
teacher to map out some things on openstreetmap with high school
students!

To do this we talked about what would work with the high school
curriculum, and with an OSM component. We agreed to look at something
with built environments and some of the limitations people may have
accessing them. This class has some GIS teaching behind them.

Last Wednesday Rob brought in a person from the City of Brandon to
talk about what the city is doing about accessibility. Then he gave
the students an assignment to capture if a building was accessible
over the next few days.

Once they came back on the Friday I did a talk on openstreetmap, some
of the benefits of open data they could use for school work, and how
osm is helping out across the world (HOT mapping, ect). As most of the
buildings were already there we didn't need to add a lot to the map.
The students used the same login (issue with students having their
accounts and privacy)  and used iD editor to add if buildings they
looked at were wheelchair accessible or not. In some cases they
building wasn't there, so I added the basic how to add a building,
square it, satellite alignment and other editing tasks they might use.

In the future we'll probably use field papers to do a larger project
(the field papers server was down that day!) and be a little more
ambitious.

I looked over the data later to see if everything made sense and the
jokes were corrected (one student edited the Robs house to be a fish
food restaurant).

Although small, it was pretty successful way of getting secondary
students into mapping with a guided approach.

A secondary added bonus was city of Brandon provided data, however
need to sort out licensing stuff before adding anything to the map.

Cheers,
Keith