[Talk-ca] Buildings in Ottawa after the Statistics Canada project. BC 2020?

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 17:37:25 UTC 2018

These are very much round numbers and it depends a little exactly what you
count as Ottawa.

We have some 300,000 ways mapped as buildings, 280,000 have addr: house
numbers and street names.  I think the majority have been imported.

Nominatim will find buildings that do not have a street name associated
with them but unfortunately I think finds the nearest street to the
building which isn't always the correct one so its better with a street
name even if it does fill up the database.

building=yes is 50,000 so 83% have been better classified which is good.

Some 8,000 have building:levels, these have to be added manually.  So shall
we say 3% have been mapped by mappers on the ground.

Retail 3,000
commercial 4,000
garage 6,000

There were 179 labelled detatched so I corrected them to detached

1600 had a web site.

Someone with overpass could probably come up with more accurate figures but
to my mind we didn't managed to get as much additional detail on the
buildings as I might like.

I'm still unsure how a split level building should be mapped.

Terraces are sometimes mapped as individual units, sometimes as a block
with address information for each unit.

Should bungalows be tagged building=detached building:levels=1 or
building=bungalow remembering that locally there is a terrace of bungalows.

I think the project needs some guidance on these points along the lines of
the OSM African highway wiki if the data is to be useful.

Cheerio John