[Talk-ca] Importing buildings in Canada

Nate Wessel bike756 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 19:20:54 UTC 2019

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for taking the time to put together these detailed observations
on the data. It seems like it could be a useful guide, though I have
some questions about how you came to these measurements and what they
mean. I'll leave those clarifying questions for the talk page however.

I want to reiterate that I remain opposed to a nationwide import, or at
least any version of that that takes aim at any part of Toronto. I've
been working on an import plan for Toronto, though we are still digging
out from the mess of several imports, including the latest effort at a
building import. We're making progress, but it is slow and I haven't
been able to give it the time and attention it needs.
I believe Montreal is working on their own thing as well, and there are
likely others.

That said, I like that this is starting with a thorough assessment of
the data in each region. Given that each seems a bit different, I'd
suggest thinking of a national /import plan/ as more of a national
/template/ for regions that can be applied and adapted region by region.
You can lead a horse to water, but it is the local mappers that need to
drink. Some of them, myself included, can be quite stubborn ;-)

Happy holidays,

Nate Wessel, PhD
Planner, Cartographer, Transport Nerd
NateWessel.com <https://www.natewessel.com>