[Talk-ca] Bike infrastructure in OSM

Harald Kliems kliems at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 22:05:01 UTC 2019

I just learned that US-based bike advocacy organization People for Bikes is
going to expand their "Bicycle Network Analysis" (BNA) to the following
Canadian cities: Toronto, Calgary, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Ottawa, Halifax,
Saskatoon, Edmonton, Montreal, Hamilton, Mississauga, Brampton.

What is the BNA? It uses data about the a number of characteristics of
roads and paths (e.g. number of lanes, speed limit, existence of bike
lanes) to calculate a "traffic level of stress." For more detail, you can
watch this presentation at SOTM-US:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgyynQDPQnQ

The first round of BNA analysis happened last year in a large number of US
cities: https://bna.peopleforbikes.org/#/

Of course, the analysis can only be as good as the underlying data, and so
I'd encourage everyone to improve the tagging of bike-relevant
infrastructure in those cities. There is a tagging guide available here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HuAXQUnCEcv9aLZyIDHkLTJ5ZSKfB-U4MlJSmN-1BLk/edit

Apparently the data pull will be on February 16. So not a lot of time.

I think it's a great project, and we have used it for our bike advocacy
work in Madison (Wisconsin). And of course having great data about bike
infrastructure in OSM is desirable outside of the project as well.

Cheers,
 Harald (hobbesvsboyle)

--
GPG Key-ID: 0x34cb93972f186565