[Talk-ca] Ongoing Canadian building import needs to be stopped, possibly reverted

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Fri Jan 18 03:40:03 UTC 2019

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 at 21:46, OSM Volunteer stevea
<steveaOSM at softworkers.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Jarek.  Considering I am a proponent of "perfection must not be the enemy of good" (regarding OSM data entry), I think data which are "darn good, though not perfect" DO deserve to enter into OSM.  Sometimes "darn good" might be 85%, 95% "good," as then we'll get it to 99% and then 100% over time.  But if the focus on "how" isn't sharp enough to get it to 85% (or so) during initial entry, go back and start over to get that number up.  85% sounds arbitrary, I know, but think of it as "a solid B" which might be "passes the class for now" without failing.  And it's good we develop a "meanwhile strategy" to take it to 99% and then 100% in the (near- or at most mid-term) future.  This isn't outrageously difficult, though it does take patience and coordination.  Open communication is a prerequisite.

Thank you for this commitment. I wish others shared it. Unfortunately
the reality I've been seeing in OSM is that edits which are 90+% good
(like this import) are challenged, while edits which are 50+% bad
(maps.me submissions, wheelmap/rosemary v0.4.4 going to completely
wrong locations for _years_) go unchallenged or are laboriously
manually fixed afterward.

--Jarek