[Talk-ca] Ongoing Canadian building import needs to be stopped, possibly reverted

John Whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 16:34:02 UTC 2019

 >they can be brought in from another source with better documentation /
attribute tagging. (i.e. City of Toronto?)

I understand The City of Toronto Open Data License has been submitted to
the OSM Legal Working Group some time ago.  The Federal Government 2.0
license and the City of Ottawa Open Data license have been approved but
they have requested any variations be submitted to them for review.

Translation even though some of this data came from the City of Toronto
originally my understanding is currently we can't use open data from
Toronto directly.  I believe it was a Toronto mapper who submitted all
three licenses to the Legal Working Group originally.

There was quite a bit of discussion during the Ottawa Open Data import
about licensing and some assumptions that had been made were found to be
not quite as has been assumed.

Cheerio John

Nate Wessel wrote on 2019-01-24 11:14 AM:

> [...]
>>     "open" but unavailable for OSM, so I'm very glad Stats Can was
>>     able to find a way to collect municipal data and publish it under
>>     one national license. I was surprised myself it hadn't got more
>>     attention, but I'm firmly onboard with more imports if done with
>>     care.
>>     > Manually adding buildings - especially residential
>>     neighborhoods, is about the most boring task I can think of, yet
>>     it does add a lot to the map.
>>     >
>>     > I'll admit I hadn't looked at the data quality myself, but I
>>     just did review several task squares around BC and they look
>>     pretty good. Houses were all in the right place, accurate, and
>>     generally as much or even more detailed than I typically see.
>>     Issues seemed to be mostly the larger commercial buildings being
>>     overly large or missing detail, but in general these are the
>>     buildings most likely to be already mapped. To a large degree,
>>     it's up the individual importer to do some quality control,
>>     review against existing object, satellite, etc. If we have
>>     specific issues we can and should address them, but if the data
>>     is largely good then I see no need to abort or revert.
>>     >
>>     > alarobric
>>     >
>>     > On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 7:41 PM Jarek Piórkowski
>>     <jarek at piorkowski.ca <mailto:jarek at piorkowski.ca>> wrote:
>>     >
>>     > On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 at 21:46, OSM Volunteer stevea
>>     > <steveaOSM at softworkers.com <mailto:steveaOSM at softworkers.com>>
>>     wrote:
>>     > > Thanks, Jarek.  Considering I am a proponent of "perfection
>>     must not be the enemy of good" (regarding OSM data entry), I
>>     think data which are "darn good, though not perfect" DO deserve
>>     to enter into OSM.  Sometimes "darn good" might be 85%, 95%
>>     "good," as then we'll get it to 99% and then 100% over time.  But
>>     if the focus on "how" isn't sharp enough to get it to 85% (or so)
>>     during initial entry, go back and start over to get that number
>>     up.  85% sounds arbitrary, I know, but think of it as "a solid B"
>>     which might be "passes the class for now" without failing.  And
>>     it's good we develop a "meanwhile strategy" to take it to 99% and
>>     then 100% in the (near- or at most mid-term) future.  This isn't
>>     outrageously difficult, though it does take patience and
>>     coordination. Open communication is a prerequisite.
>>     >
>>     > Thank you for this commitment. I wish others shared it.
>>     Unfortunately
>>     > the reality I've been seeing in OSM is that edits which are
>>     90+% good
>>     > (like this import) are challenged, while edits which are 50+% bad
>>     > (maps.me <http://maps.me> submissions, wheelmap/rosemary v0.4.4
>>     going to completely
>>     > wrong locations for _years_) go unchallenged or are laboriously

Sent from Postbox