[Talk-ca] Ongoing Place Reclassification needs to be stopped, possibly reverted

Martin Chalifoux martin.chalifoux at icloud.com
Thu Jan 24 19:02:42 UTC 2019

I know in Quebec the place=village tag has been adopted to tag the municipalities other than town, cities and suburb, regardless of population. I think, but don’t know for sure, the main reason for this is actually the rendering engine(s). The place=village tag get a nice rendering that allow to identify the municipalities visually on the map. When the municipality, label  and other tags are used (instead of village), they render very small and are not useful. There is a need for municipality names to stand out at a descent zoom level on the map, regardless of population. That is important for navigating the territory. So I guess my bit of advise is to not only look at the pure logic of OSM tagging to understand what is being done in the field and also how rendering is done and maybe you will get a better understanding of why people do that they do. Now there are tons of rendering engines beside openstreetmap.org <http://openstreetmap.org/> but that one is a good place to start with.

I also agree that a more consistent scheme needs to be worked out. It is hard to maintain the current one. In Quebec there has been mergers over the years and often multiple villages are now in one municipality and both informations need to show in OSM somehow.

Martin