[Talk-ca] Removing "WikiProject" prefix

dcapillae dcapillae at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 18:12:51 UTC 2019

Hi,

I am Daniel, from Spain. I would like to change the name of the wiki
pages related to the Canada mapping project to remove the "Wikiproject"
prefix following the pages name conventions [1].

The name of the pages related to the Canada mapping project would be
"Canada" (name of place) instead of "Wikiproject Canada", as recommended
by the wiki conventions. It is a change that I have already made in
United States [2], Spain [3], and all Spanish speaking countries in the
OSM Wiki [4], consulting with their communities beforehand. Hard work
but good results.

I could make the necessary changes, no problem, and also add the
"Country" template [5] to the Canada project page, although this change
is optional.

Some questions from your OSMCanada Slack group:

1.-  What affect does it have on the wiki to be frank?

Really, not much. Instead of "WikiProject Canada" the pages change to
"Canada" (place name) to make direct reference to the country object of
the mapping project, following the wiki conventions. The rest will
remain the same (no changes).

2.- Will there be a redirect to Canada page?

Of course. You can search for "Canada" directly in the wiki. And if
someone shares a link to "WikiProject Canada", it will link directly to
the Canada mapping project ("Canada" page in the wiki).

3.- Is it going to break old links to it?

No, not at all. The redirects will be automatic.

I have posted a message on the wiki about this subject [6]. Please,
comment there if you want to send me your opinions.

Thank you for your attention. Greetings from Spain!

Regards,

Daniel

[1]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wiki_organisation#Pages_naming_convention