[Talk-ca] Postcodes in Canada

John Whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 01:33:36 UTC 2019

I had long discussions with Canada Post about postcodes years ago.  I
was working with Treasury Board standards group at the time looking at
addressing standards and I'm very aware of the limitations.

Rural post codes are very definitely an issue and not all postcodes used
by Stats Canada and other government departments for example are
physical locations.

Open Data would be nice but realistically it isn't going to happen in
the short term.

Having said that what is doable is spotting postcodes that do exist but
are not in OpenStreetMap then tagging a building with an address that
includes a postcode in that postcode.

For example  if K4A 1M7 exists in the map then it would be reasonable to
assume that K4A 1M6 - 1M1 should also exist so could be looked for.

Cobourg is an example where there are far fewer postcodes than one might
like to see.

Cheerio John

Sent from Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com>