[Talk-ca] Importing buildings in Canada

Nate Wessel bike756 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 17:30:18 UTC 2020

Yeah, there are issues with the Toronto Simplification tasks ... I was
tempted to orient the task grid more to the actual streets by rotating
everything ~17 degrees. The problem with that is that when downloading
the task data by bounding box (i.e. a new unrotated bounding box) you
end up getting lots of data that's not in the task. I've found that the
best way to do the validation tasks is to download the task data and
then download a slightly expanded bounding box to ensure I have
everything. Not the cleanest solution, but it's the best I've found so far.

Arbitrary task shapes seem to work fine for importing though because you
can easily see where the new data starts and ends. And buildings can be
assigned to a task uniquely without difficulty.

Cheers,

Nate Wessel, PhD
Planner, Cartographer, Transport Nerd
NateWessel.com <https://www.natewessel.com>