[Talk-ca] Coastline Question

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Wed Mar 25 22:51:18 UTC 2020

Adam,
I just looked at a recent CANVED File Geodatabase. The coast line appears
not to extend into the river. However, and this is a big however, the
metadata associated with the data doesn't have sufficient information to
say for certain what I'm looking at is actual shoreline. My guess is there
is better authoritative data available. I just grabbed the wrong data.

Best,
Clifford

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 3:20 PM Adam Martin <s.adam.martin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have been moving about the Island of Newfoundland addressing Keep Right!
> issues and adding missing features.  While doing so, I encountered an area
> of coastline along the Burin Peninsula that appears odd to me.
> Specifically, the Garnish River here:
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/47.2322/-55.3473
>
> On the regular map, it looks fine.  In the iD Editor, however, the banks
> of the river are designated as the coastline.  Now, I know that this is
> reasonable in some circumstances (generally, where the ocean water is
> directly present in the waterway).  But if you look at it in the editor,
> the coastline doesn't stop in that area.  In fact, the coastline extends
> deep into the interior of the peninsula, tracing along the riverway all the
> way to just north of Clam Pond.  Again, I know this can be reasonable in
> cases where, if I recall correctly, the water itself is at ocean level or
> similar.  I recall there being wrangling over the St. Lawrence regarding
> the coastline designation, but this is nowhere near as big as that river.
>
> But I am from this Province and have lived on that peninsula - the entire
> place is a quagmire of hills and gullies.  I do not believe that this river
> is level with the ocean, at least not to this extent.  The data source for
> it is NRCAN CANVEC 8.0.  I reviewed the Natural Resources Canada "Toporama"
> map for the area to check the altitude of the river as it extends
> eastward.  The river passes to the south of "Morgans Pond" and, as it does
> so, crosses a 50ft topographical line there.  So, in my mind, that means
> that it must be descending as it moves to the west and can't be considered
> ocean at this point, at least.
>
> With that in mind, I am just looking for some input from the group here.
> I don't want to change something like that only to find I was wrong for one
> reason or another.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam

@osm_washington