[Talk-cl] [Talk-ht] Walking papers (was "Hello World")

Al Haraka alharaka en gmail.com
Mar Mar 2 23:29:24 GMT 2010

Jean,

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 5:36 AM, Jean-Guilhem Cailton <jgc en arkemie.com> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> That is a great idea.
>
> How about having more translations ?

Great idea.

> On Sunday evening, I discovered Walking Papers, sending a couple of them
> to my uncle who lives in La Rochelle (near the areas that were flooded).
>
> I think it might be useful to have Walking Papers also translated into
> Albanian, Portuguese (for Madeira) or Haitian Creole...

It certainly would be.

> How does one go about translating in a new language ?
>

> (Yesterday, I helped translating MapOSMatic into Spanish with OSMers
> from Chile.
>
> Translating MapOSMatic relies on .po files. With poedit, and the help of
> Google translator from English to Spanish and from French to Spanish, it
> was my fastest and most enjoyable translating experience ! )

We should strongly consider a Pootle instance.

http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/index?redirect=1

Pootle is a web front-end for translating PO and other i18ln files.  I
was joking at a CrisisCamp in DC that no one has love for the Pootle.
It is my experience not many volunteers were technically savvy to deal
with complexities of .po and .pot files and requires less effort to
get people right into translating.  Pootle makes it easy.  You will
notice JOSM has such capabilities throught Trac, but I do not think it
using PO files with Java.  Someone more knowledge will correct me if I
am mistaken.

Best,
_AJS