[Talk-cl] Tile Map Service

Dane Springmeyer blake en hailmail.net
Vie Mar 5 18:48:26 GMT 2010

Hola Julio!

On Mar 5, 2010, at 4:14 AM, Julio Costa Zambelli wrote:

> Hello Dane,
>
> I wanted to ask you if you have the technical skills to implement a
> Tile server (Mapnik) with a fast update cycle.

Yes.

> The thing is that the people managing the Ushahidi Chile website are
> willing to go back to OpenStreetMap as their default map layer, but
> ask me for a more "appealing" render.

Okay, would be really good to know more about what that means.

For haiti then went from tile.osm.org to --> haiti.openstreetmap.nl --
 > mapbox tiles as overlay on tile.osm.org

What worked, didn't, might, could, etc... is important. Perhaps I
should get in contact with ushihidi lead directly?

I also know the mapbox folks. I don't think they do not have fast
update cycle, but do have great styles.

> I thought of CloudMades Custom Style renders, but the problem is
> that I want to preserve the OSMF render ability to update the tiles
> in a very fast cycle (lets say ten minutes) using the diffs. We are
> working in the earthquake affected area and I want to show that as
> soon as possible in the render, not 10 days later.

Sure, How much custom tags and data is being used so far?

> I am notoriously unskilled in this kind of technologies, so I can
> provide the requirements, and maybe intervene on simple tasks like
> the configuration of the XML file that controls the style of the
> render, but in everything else I totally depend on more experienced
> people.

Sure, you bet!

- Dane