[Talk-cl] Resumen de Talk-cl, Vol 141, Envío 5

Felipe Edwards felipe.edwards en openstreetmap.cl
Vie Oct 29 12:22:11 UTC 2021

Hello Oisin
The Chilean community mainly talks all its issues in the Telegram chat in
this link: https://t.me/OSMcl

There we can explain to you this thing that makes a lot of non-Chilean
mappers ask the same question every time they try to understand how the
Chilean street names work.

I´ll try to do my best now, but it is highly recommended that you join the
chat:

1) the word "Calle" is almost never present in the name of the streets. It
is often stated as that in some digital and official sources, but it is
never on the street sign or in how the people refer to the street.

two main exceptions:

1.1) When a street is a number (e.g: Calle 1, Calle 2) or when it is a
"possessive" name (e.g: Calle del Viento, Calle del Sur)

1.2) Even though the word "Calle" might be present in the street sign, it
is almost never used. It is kind of a legal issue regarding residential
projects that it is not very useful to explain here, not to mention that I
am not well aware of its details also.

This explains 95% of the naming regarding the "Calle" word. Of course,
additional exceptions might be found and you are welcome to show them to us
in the Telegram chat

2) Avenida and Pasaje are names that are often given considering the
physical conditions of the highway, but a lot of exceptions are known.

So, for practical purposes, consider it like that: A word in the name. not
a status nor a type.

And if you look closely in Santiago. it is a real mess due to an import
made years ago in which they mixed everything. Actually, we are working on
normalizing this.

The word Pasaje might be mandatory if the numbering is the pattern (Pasaje,
1, Pasaje 2, etc...)

If the street sign says Avenida or Pasaje, then you must add it to OSM as
part of the name. But keep in mind that people might not use it when
referring to then, so it is easy to find an Avenida or Pasaje, with POIS in
it where the addr:street does not have the Avenida or Pasaje in it, and
that is because the person who added that POI doesn´t use the Avenida or
Pasaje on it even though the sign and/or official name of the street
contains it.

3) Bonus. Additional names: imagine an Avenida Oisin Herriott exists.
People might talk about this in several ways (e.g Avenida Herriott,
Herriott, Oisin Herriott, etc..) so you might find all of those in OSM. Our
job is to reduce them to the name in the street sign in the first instance
or the official name if the street sign imagery is not available.

You can even find a street sign containing a word that is not present in
the street sign next block, so then you have to refer to the official name.

For this confusion, it is important that you join the chat: A lot of
problems are avoided talking with the local community and a lot of mappers
will respond almost immediately to all of your questions

regards and I hope this helps