[Talk-co] Bing image coverage - new coverage analysis tool

dies38061 en mypacks.net dies38061 en mypacks.net
Mar Feb 8 12:39:29 GMT 2011

A new tool for looking at Bing coverage has been released, as announced on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bing/Coverage (noted as a "modified version").  Using this tool to assess coverage may eliminate the need to collect boundary information for coverage.  Instead, one can just look at this tool for any area of interest and get a broad coverage overview.

I have captured an illustrative screen shot and posted it to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2010_Colombia_floods/Imagery_and_data_sources#Bing (to the right of the table).  To create this image, I needed to zoom to z=14 and scan pan across the entire area, allowing information to be collected and cached for all of the z=14 tiles in the desired area, then zoom out incrementally to z=13, 12, 11, then 10 to allow the cached z=14 tiles to be 'summarized' for incrementally lower resolution tiles; the tool is fast, but it did take some time to do the scanning and zoom reduction until I had a fully covered area for the Atlantico Department (the example area).  I am not sure if the cached information will be persistent or will expire soon; in other words, it might be that once an area is scanned so that a cache of data is available for that area, that information may then be available for all others going forward without needing to rescan the area and build a new short-lived cache.  If that is true, that the cache is long lived, it would be worthwhile for someone to systematically scan the entire country.

--ceyockey