[Talk-co] Usage of Open Street Map for disaster prevention / disaster control

Fredy Rivera fredyrivera en gmail.com
Jue Mar 31 18:01:54 BST 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Usage of Open Street Map for disaster prevention / disaster control
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 15:22:21 +0200
From: <business en visualhome.de>
To: <steve en asklater.com>

Hello Steve,

a friend of mine found your Open Street Map project on the internet
and brought it to my attention. Since some time I'm developing a
software for the disaster prevention / disaster control in Germany.
This software is about a mission guiding system that distributes
information throughout the hierarchy of the participating units. It is
a web-based developement to keep implementation costs at a minimum and
keep it easily accessible with no need for installation on the client
side.

A big issue is the matter about where to get maps that are up to date
and easily accessible. At the moment maps have to be prepared as
graphical files and uploaded into the system. As sufficient as it may
be at the moment things would be greatly improved if we could mate
such a powerful database as your Open Street Map with our software.
Our software is basically based on php and mySQL.

I've been rummaging through the internet to get some information about
how I can possible integrate Open Street Map into the system. So far
I've found some information to give me a general idea but there are
still some questions left:

Basically ... would you be interested in supporting our goal to mate
up your Open Street Map and our mission guidance system? At the moment
we are working on a pilot project where there will be some media
attention and all the supporters of the project will be publicly named
one way or another.

If you are interested could you provide me with some entry points to
the following themes:

Setting up a local Open Street Map server based rather on mySQL than
postgreSQL? Or at least setting up a server based on postgreSQL? As a
first step I'd like to set up a local server that replicates the data
available for Europe.
Selecting small maps out of Open Street Map for single missions and
documentation purposes.
Integrating Open Street Map into php/HTML (like displaying a viewer in
a DIV-tag or the like).

Thanks,
Bernd