[talk-cz] Is name=Automat na jizdenky MHD a good tagging?

Michal Fabík michal.fabik na gmail.com
Sobota Květen 25 07:55:07 UTC 2019

On 24/05/2019 23:25, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> In my opinion the name does not make a harm.

I can think of a couple of reasons why not to do it:

1) The "name" is quite long and in some renderers it takes up space that
could otherwise be used for more useful names. It's even wrapped to two
lines in OsmAnd, for instance. Yes, I know, tagging for the renderer
etc., but I believe that considering the tagging is inherently wrong
(it's a description, not a name), even this should be taken into account.

2) More importantly, I believe tagging like this only fuels the notion
that seems to be pretty widespread with OSM beginners, namely that a)
anything and everything can/should have a name, and b) names and
descriptions are the same thing.  Granted, this isn't much of an issue
in Czechia, which is both well mapped (so there isn't much opportunity
to add new stuff) and well maintained (so the erroneous edits don't hold
for too long), but some of the less developed parts of the OSM world are
littered with "names" such as "school", "roundabout", "grocery store",
"forest path" and similar. IMHO we shouldn't be setting an example like
this if we can help it.

If it has to be specified what kind of tickets the machine sells and the
operator=* tag isn't enough for some reason, we could specify a public
transport network with the same network=* tag that's used with public
transport route relations. If, somehow, even that weren't enough
(although I can't think of a real world scenario like that), the vending
machine node could be made a member of a specific route or maybe
public_transport=stop_area relation.
Furthermore, the "MHD" in name=* (or description=* for that matter)
won't mean much to non-Czech speakers anyway.

--
Michal Fabík