[talk-cz] Road Network Improvements in Czech Republic

Jan Martinec jan na martinec.name
Středa Březen 3 16:29:49 UTC 2021

Hello and welcome to talk-cz!

This is indeed a major hub of Czech OSM activity - questions? Ask; even
though we mostly use Czech language, many of us can use English. As an
OSM contributor, IMHO the more data the better. I have read your process
flow, let me comment on it. (Shrnu poznámky k procesu na
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bolt v češtině, po odstavcích.)

- Adding missing roads
This is going to be rare in populated areas; you might find some outside
of cities, mostly highway=unclassified-ish, limited access service
roads, or unpaved links. Most missing roads added are from actual OTG
new construction. (Málokde už se najde veřejná chybějící silnice.)

- Adjusting road alignment as per imagery and GPS traces
Road gardening is a fairly popular pastime. As far as imagery goes,
cross-reference carefully with GNSS and existing data - some sources are
wildly offset. Good news, though: useful license-compatible hi-res
imagery is available e.g. for Prague; check
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cs:%C4%8Cesko/freemap for a list
(page is in Czech, but should be fairly understandable from machine
translation). Note that many roads are included in public transport
relations; editing in JOSM will mostly take care of preserving them,
though. (Zpřesňování silnic dobrý, pozor na rozhozený podklady, máme
lokální ortofoto.)

- Validate existing tags like- classification - Residential, Trunk,
Motorway etc and attributes - Bridge, Tunnel, links etc.
Check
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway:International_equivalence
for a rough guide, e.g. motorroads are mapped fully IIRC.
As for bridges: try to also record the limits, e.g. maxweight for the
way over the bridge and maxheight for ways passing underneath (most are
unsigned OTG, i.e. =default); bridge:structure would be a nice extra,
although most road bridges are of the =beam variety.
Small streams crossing under a road are mostly mapped using
tunnel=culvert, only when the crossing is an actual bridge (has a
white-on-black sign with a ref number) would it make sense to use
bridge=yes.
Other data, such as lanes, turn lanes, maxspeeds (especially where
posted explicitly), destinations, and similar tags would be more than
welcome. (Členění silnic viz link, co mapovat u mostů, propustky; co
obvykle chybí u silnic za tagy)

Some places might be missing street names - don't sweat it too hard,
smaller villages do not necessarily have them; in cities, a
highway=residential missing a name is rare.
Address points are imported on an automated basis from the official
source - note the complex tagging system (historical OTG purposes).
Again, an unresolvable address should be rare - but there are also
opposite cases, with multiple valid address points resolvable from a
valid input (e.g. "Koněvova 159, Praha" is Koněvova 159/12 or Koněvova
2417/159: same street, few km apart)
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Address_import_from_RUIAN
(Názvy ulic, adresní body, nejednoznačné adresy)

- Cities might be revisited on the basis of new improvements and/or
internal requirements.
The task is indeed never complete, mistakes happen, and so on. I look
forward to more mappers improving the map.
Good luck :)
(Pořád je co dělat, mapování zdar)

Jan "Piskvor" Martinec