[Talk-de] Ergebnisse des Mapping-Wochenendes in Karlsruhe

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mo Apr 2 22:17:32 UTC 2007

Hallo,

   gerade habe ich auf der allgemeinen Talk-Liste von unseren Ergeb-
nissen in Karlsruhe berichtet. Ich erlaube mir mal, das auch hier rein
zu kopieren, in der Hoffnung, dass das hier mehr eine Liste "fuer
Deutschland" ist als eine Liste "auf Deutsch" ;-) ich hab's halt mal
auf Englisch geschrieben, weil ich dachte, dass sich vielleicht auch
andere Mapping-Party-Veranstalter fuer sowas interessieren.

Hat Karlsruhe eine Chance, die erste vollstaendig gemappte Gross-
stadt in Deutschland zu werden, oder hat den Titel schon wer anders
eingeheimst? Bremen vielleicht?

Bye
Frederik

                    ------------------------

Hi,

   just in case anyone is interested. Our mapping party here in
Karlsruhe over the last weekend (the first I attended) was a cosy
little affair (well, cosy for me as I manned mission control while the
others went mapping in a light drizzle that persisted through
Saturday). We had about 10 people each day - a bit less actually than
had signed up, but they did a lot of work.

I have illustrated the results in the wiki:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Karlsruhe_Mapping_Party/Results

We managed to fill many of the gaps, and (unless someone else claims
that title, I guess I'll ask around on talk-de) Karlsruhe seems to be
close to becoming the first fully mapped city in Germany. For suitable
values of "fully", of course, but as of Sunday we even have all the
footways in the city's main cemetery ;-)

The weekend attracted mostly interested folks from Karlsruhe, many of
whom had already heard about OSM at the local Linux user group. Some
had already made contributions to OSM before, but most of them needed
some guidance on using JOSM. In the end, almost all tracks had been
converted to proper ways when we said goodbye on Sunday.

We also had an experienced mapper from 4 hours' drive away (hi
RalfZ!), as well as two participants from nearby cities of Heidelberg
(150.000 inhabitants) and Freiburg (200.000). Both cities are more
or less blank spots on the OSM map, and I belive we were able to
encourage them to get going locally.

It was very interesting to see the full breadth of mapping techniques
employed by various people. One had a PDA with a Compact Flash GPS
unit. Some had PDAs with Bluetooth GPSes, and some of these were able
to display live raster maps on the PDA and enter information there.
Others had all-in-one GPSes, some with Garmin maps loaded (extremely
helpful if you are in a place where a lot is mapped already!). Some
had cassette recorders or MP3 players with recording and made notes
that way. One guy was mapping on a motorbike, with the GPS in his
pocket; unable to operate a waypoint button or even a pen, he simply
took photos of every road sign and later used JOSM's "geo-tagged
image" display to show them over his track (worked like a charm!).
A team of two mappers with a car set up an IRC server on their
notebook, fired up a client and just blindly hacked in everything they
saw; later, the time-stamped IRC log was combined with the track log
to form GPX waypoints, so that each IRC line showed up in JOSM on the
waypoint layer, with a little "x" at the spot where it belonged to.

In preparing for the weekend, we had created about 30 "parcels" of
work to be done, always assuming that this would be a last resort to
hand out to people who really have no idea where they should go and
what they should do. It turned out that these pre-formulated tasks
were thankfully accepted even by experienced mappers; everyone was
happy to have an assignment, and it saved us a lot of time not having
to make assignments up on Saturday.

That's it from here...
Frederik