[Talk-de] Hello from England

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Mi Jul 1 12:57:28 UTC 2009

On 30 Jun 2009, at 16:10, Sebastian Hohmann wrote:

> SteveC schrieb:
>> On 30 Jun 2009, at 10:42, Claudius wrote:
>>
>>> Am 30.06.2009 10:02, SteveC:

>>> The original question was:
>>> "Why had the license to be pushed in such a short timeframe?"
>>
>> Thanks for the translation.
>>
>> To the original author - what makes you think a process started in
>> January 2008 is a short timeframe?
>>

> Vermutlich aufgrund der sehr wenigen Informationen die man über die
> Jahre über den aktuellen Stand als 'Normal-Mapper' erhalten hat. Wenn
> man sich z.B. Mitte 2008 bei OSM angemeldet hat, hat man erst März
> 2009
> das erste Mal von einer neuen Lizenz gehört. Mag sein dass es
> Informationen dazu gab, aber die meisten Mapper werden wohl kaum aktiv
> nach etwas suchen, von dem sie garnicht wissen dass es existiert.
>
> Vielleicht wäre es für die Zukunft sinnvoll einen (vielleicht
> monatlichen) Newsletter über die wichtigsten Entwicklungen OSM
> betreffend zu verschicken, damit auch neue Mapper nicht erst die
> Mailinglisten-Archive oder alte Blogeinträge durchgraben müssen.
> Schließlich ist sowas wie die Lizenz eine wichtige Sache.
>
> English:
>
> Probably due to the very little information that one received as a
> 'normal-mapper' over the years. For example, if you registered at
> OSM in
> the middle of 2008, you probably heard the first time in March 2009
> about the new licence. There may have been information, but most
> mappers
> most likely won't search for something they don't even know exist.
>
> Maybe it would be sensible for the future to publish a (maybe monthly)
> newsletter containing the most important developments concerning
> OSM, so
> new mappers don't have to dig through the mailinglist archives or old
> blog entries. After all, the licence is an important matter.

We have asked for help with this many times. For example last year I
think Mikel Maron put up money and a free SOTM ticket to anyone who
would blog regularly on OSM news but nobody did. I can try again.

More specifically on just the license, we meet twice a week and we
publish our minutes every week. If you have any questions about those
please let me know.

Best

Steve