[Talk-de] Hello from England

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mi Jul 8 10:38:52 UTC 2009

Hi,

SteveC wrote:
>> I'm glad we have settled that Creative Commons officially suggested to
>> us that we use CC0 for OpenStreetMap, rather than this just being a
>> personal opinion of an individual as you seemed to suggest earlier.

> Um, no, I don't think I've seen it. do you have a link?

http://www.sciencecommons.org/resources/readingroom/comments-on-odbl

Then,
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2009-June/002508.html
and
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2009-June/002513.html

which you know because you replied to them.

In February 2008, the OSM Wiki contained the following words written by
yourself:

"We would have liked Creative Commons to have offered a
sharealike/attribution data licence that we could adopt. However,
their position is that map data should be dedicated to the public
domain, ..."

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=Open_Data_License_FAQ&oldid=77256

When I inquired, I received the following response from OSMF board
member RichardF who was in charge at the time:

"Creative Commons' position is this (summarised from an e-mail to OSMF
by John Wilbanks, head of Science Commons, to which CC has expressly
delegated its policy on data licensing) ..."

This was in the February 2008 legal-talk thread "Progressing OSM to a
new data Licence regime" which you know because you wrote half of the
messages in it.

I hope that suffices to refresh any lost memory ;-)

Bye
Frederik

(Fuer talk-de: Eine Liste von offiziellen CC-Statements, die aussagen,
dass sie die ODbL nicht gut finden, dass Daten CC0 bzw. PD sein sollten,
sowie ein Verweis auf eine Wikiseite, die Steve selbst im Februar
gefuellt hatte mit den Worten "... allerdings ist es die Position con
Creative Commons, dass alle Kartendaten public domain sein sollten...".)