[Talk-de] Hello from England

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Di Jun 30 08:15:04 UTC 2009

On 29 Jun 2009, at 22:03, frank mohr wrote:
> Hello Steve
> SteveC wrote:
>> Recently I had the luck and privilege to travel to some places in
>> Germany, Italy and other countries and meet OSMers. This was very
>> educational and I learnt a lot about how the different communities
>> work in these places. There are some subtle differences between
>> different countries and how OSM works in each one. Some have more
>> mapping parties. Some have meetings like Stammtisch. Some have PR.
>> Some organise on the mailing list. These are healthy differences.
>
> those differences exist also inside countries

Yes!

>> One thing I noticed a lot everywhere though was some
>> misunderstandings
>> on what the foundation, the OSMF, are doing. It feels a little like
>> FUD[1].
>
> i think the problem with OSMF is that the foundation is almost
> invisible for most mappers. (but that's how the foundation was
> initially
> planned, if i remember that right)

Yes we could do better at communications. I think it was supposed to
do many things and it achieved many of them. As it grows and becomes
more international it's multi-language communications will be more
visible. I think a start would be to post our minutes of working
groups and the board to the local-contacts list for dissemination to
each country list. What do you think?

>> These misunderstandings related to the license, the servers,
>> the working groups, the software, the State of the Map conference and
>> other things.
>
> at some point i gave up to follow the discussion about the new license
> on the mailing list and wiki, but i still hope to get an update at the
> sotm.

You certainly will!

Best

Steve