[Talk-de] Demand for "leadership" (was: Hello from England(

Claudius claudius.h at gmx.de
Di Jun 30 09:49:23 UTC 2009

Am 30.06.2009 09:56, SteveC:
> On 29 Jun 2009, at 18:05, Peter Dörrie wrote:
>
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> thanks for taking the time to keep in contact with communities from
>> other countries. I personally think that it would be a great idea to
>> hear from you (or others from the foundation) more frequently on the
>> talk-de list.
>>
>> I am personally not very afraid that the whole license issue will
>> turn up something bad. As you said, you are OSMers like us, so why
>> should you implement something bad?
>>
>> But there is another topic, where involvement of you and OSMers from
>> other countries would be greatly appreciated from my point of view.
>> There have been some very lively discussions on this mailing list
>> about the future of OSM regarding decision making processes and
>> mapping standards. Maybe it is due to us being German, but it seems
>> to me that many people feel that there should be some kind of
>> formalised "leadership" in the mapping communities. I do not want to
>> pitch any concrete idea myself, but I think that this is something
>> which should be discussed intensively on an international level and
>> that your opinion would be valued.
>
> What kind of "leadership"? What have been the sides of this debate?

The demand for leadership arouse in one of many tagging discussions. It
mainly evolved around the idea of having some "tagging leaders" or a
"tagging commitee/group of elders" that define *the* way to tag stuff.
Those favoring this idea promote it because they say the current wiki
way allows anyone to change rules and thus push that the osm dataset
gets vaguer and vaguer. They say that without a strict rule it's
impossible to do certain stuff (without naming certain stuff yet) and
that newbies would love to be taken by the hand with such a list.

Those opposing the idea fear that it would take the freedom of tag
evolution and tag usage out of OSM and would help people who'd like to
enforce a certain "correct" tagging scheme (e.g. by using bots).

Claudius