[Talk-de] New OpenStreetMap iPhone Editor - Mapzen POI Collector

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Fr Nov 27 09:28:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Claudius <claudius.h at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 26.11.2009 10:56, Nick Black:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Mapzen POI Collector was released into the App Store this morning.
>> Mapzen POI Collector is a free iPhone app that makes it really easy to
>> collect POIs for OpenStreetMap.  Users locate themselves using the
>> iPhone's built in GPS, position a pin at the location of the POI they
>> want to add and then choose from a range of pre-selected categories.
>> No need to remember those obscure tags any more.
>
> Why is it not available for the iPod Touch? The builtin
> "geolocalization" just helps you in finding the correct street but still
> I would love to have a decent GUI for collectin POIs on my iPod.
> You would have to add a user message hinting at the inaccuracy, but still.

Main reason is because Mapzen POI Collector needs a network connection
to upload the POIs to OSM.  There is no support for offline / caching.
 I guess if you had a wifi network you could upload the POIs that way,
but there aren't many places with ubiquitous WiFi.

If you email me at nick at cloudmade.com I'll see if we can get a build
made for iPod touch and you can test it out.

> Regards,
> Claudius

Nick Black
twitter.com/nick_b