[Talk-de] Presse //Re: PR: June 16, Bloomsday: Pubs in Dublin

RalfGesellensetter rgx at gmx.de
Sa Jun 18 01:20:20 UTC 2011

Am Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2011 schrieb RalfGesellensetter:
> Das ist großartig, ich hoffe, der Blog schafft es bis morgen noch
> in die Irish Times! Das wäre doch mal etwas!

Hurray!

Die Irish Times schreibt am 17.6. [1]:

"Programmer offers solution to Bloom's Dublin pub puzzle

"Rory McCann plotted a course through the city, from the North Circular
Road at Blackhorse Avenue to the canal at Baggot Street, which he says
avoids every pub, even if it requires a detour through a museum and a park."
"The UCD graduate used pub locations from OpenStreetMap, an online editable map,

"The Irish Times tested the route yesterday and found it accurate...

"At the very least, his efforts have offered an inventive solution to an
89-year-old brain-teaser.

---

Und der "Guardian" berichtet sogar mit Foto [2]. Zu OSM ist zu lesen:

"he used data from the online editable map, OpenStreetMap, to pin down
the locations of Dublin's 1,000-plus pubs,."

... und als Zitat von Rory:

"I'm a big OpenStreetMap fan, and fan of open data. It's a well-known
problem in Dublin, and many people have tried to solve it themselves
in pubs," he said. "Among the OpenStreetMap community here in Dublin,
it's something that we've thought we could solve (thanks to open data).
I started thinking about it, and could see it coming together in my
head, so had a stab at it, et voila!"

---

Also herzlichen Glückwunsch für den erfolgreichen Sprung in die Presse.
Und Viel Erfolg beim nächsten Projekt:

"a route around Dublin which passes as many of the city's drinking
houses as possible."

Good Luck
Ralf.

1 = http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0617/1224299072190.html