[Talk-de] [OSM-talk] Formal proposal: mechanically reverting fixme=set␣better␣denotation / denotation=cluster

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mo Mär 2 17:57:04 UTC 2015

> Out of curiosity, how would you render denotation=cluster differently
> than other denotations ? Automatically create a forest polygon around
> them ? Render them narrower than "normal" trees ? Why ? I can see the
> interest in rendering landmark and natural_monument more prominently,
> but the usecase for cluster is much harder to define (and if it
> exists, a spatial query would probably still be better ?).

the intention of the mapper who introduced it (by performing a database
query and storing the results in the osm db, something you shouldn't do, we
all agree) was to omit those trees in his renderings. He was interested in
"special" trees and was asuming that trees close to other trees were less
"special" (something I don't agree with per se, but in practice might have
worked back then, because the mappers mapping "special trees" were
typically mapping only those special trees, hence there was less
probability of other trees _mapped_ nearby, even if there were actual trees
in the real world).

cheers,
Martin