[Talk-de] Building Ireland Project

Tadeusz Cantwell t4dc4n at gmail.com
Mo Apr 6 14:20:58 UTC 2020

Hey, for anyone bored at home, there is lots of mapping to be done in
Ireland. A few months ago we started the Building Ireland Project, to map
all the buildings on the island of Ireland, using the modified HOT tool to
break out the country into squares. As we go on we are rolling out
different areas to map. We aim to have every building at least marked as
building=yes, and more specific tagging at the mappers discretion. Have a
look here. https://tasks.openstreetmap.ie/.
<https://tasks.openstreetmap.ie/>

For those interested in high quality mapping drone imagery from Newry,
County Down, N.I taken by the council was opened by community activism. See
my tutorial below.

"To access this wonderful imagery in Newry go to www.openaerialmap.org,
make an account, type Newry in the search, zoom into the middle of the
town, pick a tile and look for Conor Graham in the left hand side column,
and click on the photo to load the imagery. There is a button to open it in
the ID editor.

The open in JOSM link doesn't add the imagery as a new layer, so to do
this, look for the copy TMS link, click on it once, go to JOSM, then
imagery, preferences, add TMS. Put the link in the top box, name the
tileset in the bottom box. Import the data layer from openstreetmap.org as
normal and select the new name from the drop down menu in imagery. It may
take awhile for it to load, they are very detailed!"

Taduesz Cantwell
OSM Ireland