[Talk-dk] highway=rest_area in Denmark

Jørgen Elgaard Larsen jel at elgaard.net
Ons Apr 20 14:11:46 UTC 2016

Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
> Sorry for writing this in English.
No problem.
> While searching for possibly wrong service=* tags I saw that most of
> service=rest_area are found in Denmark: http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/fMq
>
> Randomly taking a look at some of them it seems that they all should
> be highway=rest_area
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Drest_area
>

> Is there a reason/difference to use highway=service +
> service=rest_area instead highway=rest_area?

At least I can see a pattern:

In the cases where highway=service,service=rest_area, the tags have been
added to a way representing a physical road which acts as the rest area
- i.e. the rest area is only the road itself.

In cases where highway=rest_area has been used, the rest area is not
only the road itself, but also its surroundings.

I can see on taginfo that service:rest_area is only used on 811 objects
worldwide, so obviously it should be eliminated. I see three possibilities:

a) Remove service=rest_area from the way and add a point with
highway=rest_area.
b) Remove service=rest_area from the way and draw a new way as an area
around the road.
c) Simply change them to highway=service_area.

As for c), I am not sure whether the road will then be rendered as a
road. Of course, we should not tag for the renderer, but what is the
semantic meaning of highway=rest_area,area=no?
Is it a road, or something resembling  landuse?

As for b), the area will be artificial in that it is only the road
itself that is a rest area. It would be like making a closed way with
amenity=parking around a strech of road with parking lanes.

So what would teh correct solution be?

(Another issue is that some areas marked with highway=rest_area have not
been tagged area=yes as they should be).

- Jørgen