[Talk-dk] Tagging of No Pedestrian Crossings

Theodore Ahlvin tahlvin at apple.com
Tir Maj 5 21:26:10 UTC 2020

Hejso! The Apple team has recently been investigating pedestrian navigability in Denmark and we’ve come across some issues that would be best handled with consensus from the OSM Denmark community.

Often streets intersect with dual carriageways where there are no crossings marked for pedestrians. For example, how Fyensgade intersects with Viborgvej at 56.4631795, 10.0156701 (way 30155258). In this situation, and similar situations across the country, it could be dangerous or illegal for pedestrians to cross the dual carriageway. These crossings can also be all but impossible for individuals with disabilities using OSM to navigate. Our team has been adding ‘foot=no’ tags to these sections, but after a conversation with user MikkoLukas (https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/76508518 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/76508518>) we’ve decided to investigate a solution which the rest of the OSM Denmark community agrees on.

There are several potential solutions to this problem. It could be argued that ‘foot=no’ could be inferred from Danish law on jay-walking and added to these sections. It could also be argued that ‘sidewalk=no’ or ‘sidewalk=none’ can be added to these sections, and would be accurate to ground truth, and used to discourage pedestrian crossings. Finally, it could also be argued that ‘crossing=no’ could be added to these sections, as it true to what is on the ground and the most accurate tag to describe why pedestrians should not be using these crossings.

I think this information would be very valuable to include in OSM for both individuals with disabilities as well as for pedestrians. What solution to this issue would the OSM Denmark community prefer going forward? Our team can go back and add whichever tags are decided on in place of the ‘foot=no’ tags previously added. Med venlig hilsen,
-Theodore
En HTML-vedhæftning blev fjernet...