[OSM-talk-fr] Continued aggression against French contributors (cadastre integration)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Jeu 18 Oct 09:44:45 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 10/18/12 11:11, THEVENON Julien wrote:
> I confirm that Eric point of view is shared by the majority of people
> following talk-fr mailing list according to what has been discussed on
> the list.

As I said, the majority of French contributors has never had any problem
with DWG whatsoever. (Of several thousand active contributors, only a
dozen or so has ever been blocked.) Of course, if you whip up sentiments
like Eric does marvellously ("look! they simply changed their rules
without asking us! that's an aggression don't you think? our nation is
in danger!") then people will side with him - especially as Eric is
capable of speaking to the French community in their own language,
whereas we have nobody in DWG able to do that.

> Blocking some people like you would do in case of vandalism is
> considered as an agression...

Nobody is ever blocked by DWG without being talked to first - and while
we don't do French very well, we are always polite, try to explain the
issue to people, and we go to some lengths to translate messages if we
find that the person in question doesn't understand English.

This may be an inconvenience for a mapper, but I think that naming it an
"aggression" is going too far.

It is also totally unacceptable that some of you try to make this into a
witch hunt against Paul Norman who only enforces the guidelines just as
any other DWG member would.

I have nothing against starting a political process that tries to find
answers to all the questions that Christian asked in his talk message
you linked to: What authority does OSMF have, what authority does DWG
have, how doe we make rules in this project anyway, does the world-wide
community have a right to tell the French what to do (or do the French
have the right to tell the people in Toulouse what to do), and so on. In
fact, having recently been elected to the OSMF board, this whole
question of "who makes rules and how and why are they allowed to" is one
of my pet issues that I hope to work on.

However, working on answering all these question does not mean that in
the mean time, the French community can have their own rules while
everyone else doesn't. Until such time as a replacement is agreed upon,
the current import guidelines remain in force and this means that you
need a spearate account if you import any significant amount of data.

Bye
Frederik