[OSM-talk-fr] Get data using Overpass API

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Lun 30 Nov 14:02:09 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Yosra Zguira <zguirayosra at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to get an osm file which contain nodes, ways and relations of bicycle
> stations in Lyon, France. I will use this file for simulation using SUMO, so
> I need to convert it to an .net.xml file. Without relations I can't convert
> it to .net.xml file.

I saw this question on the help website as well.
The Overpass query only returns the objects that fulfil the criteria
that you specify. When there are no relations with the requested tags,
it will not return relations. Which relations would you expect ?

With your query you will only receive bicycle rental station, nothing
else, no roads, no houses, nothing but nodes, ways and relations
representing bicycle rental stations. When there are no nodes, ways or
relations with those tags, you will not retrieve nodes or ways or
relations.
In case there are no nodes with those tags, but only ways, you still
retrieve the nodes that are used in the ways, but not other nodes.

There is no requirement for .osm files to contain relations. In case
your conversion program needs relations, you will have to add
something to the file generated by Overpass. But what ? There are no
relations after all.

regards