[Talk-gb-midanglia] Here's a strange one.

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Sun Dec 7 13:28:44 GMT 2008

I was on a road earlier and the signage said that the houses on the left were "Eastern Promenade" and the ones on the right were "New Way". How do I tag a road with different names on either side?

To be honest, I suspect the proper answer is that the Eastern Promenade houses back onto New Way, and Eastern Promenade is actually the foot access to the front, in which case the way itself is New Way.

Not that it really matters yet; after 70 minutes of generating GPS traces and almost finishing the roads in St Osyth, as well as picking up the one end of Point Clear, I discovered I hadn't pressed the start tracking button on the unit properly when I left the drive. I'd stopped to save the track so far to SD card so I could generate a separate track for the return journey (which was only about 20 minutes or so, though included a couple of postboxes and bus stops as well as some of the Point Clear roads I'd driven past in the other direction. I could have kicked myself. Anyway, I've loads of photos now that I can't link accurately to a location, or even mark the ways I travelled as I've no GPX files. Very annoying.

I could perhaps go out and repeat my route but it's a bit dis-heartening.

Western Promenade had prominent signs at one end saying private road, but to my surprise I came out there in the opposite direction as I seemed to enter the road from the other end where there are no such signs (at least none that I could see). Another one I'm not sure how to tag (should I ever go and retrace the route).

Ed