[Talk-gb-midanglia] Hi

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Tue Oct 14 12:42:27 BST 2008

Peter wrote:

> I have welcomed three new contributors in my patch recently,
> with Ed Loach
> active in Leiston and Richard West in Clacton, both of them
> seem to have
> virtually cracked their local areas.

I'm in Clacton, and don't know where Leiston is, but yes - my local
area is coming on well. It's a shame the nights have started drawing
in just as I'd got my bicycle road fit, having got many of the roads
in the area initially by driving. I'd planned on going out by
bicycle to pick up the details (bus stops, post boxes, phone boxes,
pubs, churches, etc) and non-driveable paths (as I've managed to do
on a couple of weekend outings). There are a couple of routes
(usually with a street name ending Court which suggests cul-de-sac
residential) I pass very regularly that I mean to trace still, but
they would be much easier by bike.

Much of Clacton is now mapped, and I've started working back along
the coast from Walton-on-the-Naze with a bit of car-based route
tracing when time permits. I think most of the routes back to the
Frinton side of Walton are now also done, but there are lots more to
add once you start getting to the newer (post NPE) areas of Frinton
outside the gates (and one or two ways I need to double check
inside, especially turning right as you cross the railway line).
Walton needed quite a bit of tidying up centrally as there have been
changes since NPE, including the recent diversion of the main road
to the sea front instead of along the now 20mph stretch of the High
Street. I also had to tweak some bits of coastline so I didn't have
some routes crossing water where they don't. I added a marine car
park for example which was definitely on dry land when I mapped
it...

Once these large areas (Clacton/Frinton/Walton) are pretty much done
I hope to get up to Harwich and Dovercourt areas - I did get there
on one trip when I was trying to complete the GPS tracing of the
B-roads in this area, but there is a lot more to do. After that I'll
start picking places like Thorpe, Kirby and so on to add the details
to them.

I'm originally from Wolverhampton, and as fate may have it work may
have me visiting there for a (consecutive) couple of days in the
next few weeks. I'm hoping I get an evening free to go and map some
of Perton where I lived for about 5 years, and where the whole
estate doesn't exist in OSM last time I looked. I'll probably just
map the roads, though there are a number of paths that were very
useful for pedestrians and cyclists which will have to wait for some
other time. I find it generally easier to add the paths when the
roads they run from and to are already mapped.

Ed