[Talk-gb-midanglia] Hi

Barnett, Phillip PHILLIP.BARNETT at ITN.CO.UK
Wed Oct 15 13:57:22 BST 2008

Blank areas of the map certainly encourage me to make a diversion more than a road traced from NPE, even more so considering that my GPS running the latest OpenStreetmap doesn't show the _origin_ of the roads it's displaying. I've done some mapping in Norfolk on occasional visits (username 'comsomol'), and it's definitely more satisfying (to me) to tread 'fresh' trails rather than tweak existing traced-from-NPE ways. It's actually quite tedious (in JOSM or Potlatch) to do this - recently I deleted someone's (NPE) way and redrew fresh from GPS traces as it was quicker. Apologies to whoever I did that to ...

On a less tangible level, I feel that overuse of NPE is in some way 'cheating.'
I like to demonstrate OSM to acquaintances who ask what I'm doing - it's far more satisfying to say that 'we're remapping the world' by resurveying it, rather than to lamely admit that we're mostly doing it by copying out old maps from the Ordnance Survey....

Your mileage may vary.

Oh, and Hi!
I'm based in Cambridge, did some sporadic early mapping of the town until the prodigious David Earl came along and pretty much did the rest. Also mapping in North Norfolk on occasional visits, and North Wales, ditto. Unfortunately the demands of commuting and a young family of toddlers mean I'm unable to devote as much time as I'd like to.

Cheers

PHILLIP BARNETT
SERVER MANAGER

200 GRAY'S INN ROAD
LONDON
WC1X 8XZ
UNITED KINGDOM
T +44 (0)20 7430 4474
E PHILLIP.BARNETT at ITN.CO.UK
http://WWW.ITN.CO.UK
P  Please consider the environment. Do you really need to print this email?