[Talk-gb-midanglia] King's Lynn mapping party?

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Thu May 7 20:25:35 BST 2009

Would people be interested in a mapping party for Kings Lynn for a
Saturday in June and if so, which - 6, 13, 20 or 27th?

The street layout has already mostly been put in place, though as we've
discussed on this list before by what means we aren't quite sure:
possibly personal aerial photography. But it is largely devoid of street
names and POIs, so though it may look mapped at a distance, it really
isn't to any degree of usefulness.

King's Lynn is in West Norfolk at the south east corner of the Wash, here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.754999999999995&lon=0.397&zoom=11&layers=B000FTFTT&mlat=52.75891&mlon=0.39835

It's around 37,000 people, so is a tad smaller than Bury St Edmunds, so
it might take 0=9 or 10 of us to complete it in a day. There's the
Wootons to the north as well.

It's the terminus of the rail line due north from Ely, so is accessible
by bike with suitable connections from most of East Anglia, about 50
minutes from Cambridge.

Other larger places with very little mapping which might benefit from
mapping parties:
- Thetford (22,000; Norwich - Ely line)
- Wisbech (21,000; nearest station, March, 8 miles)
- Sudbury (13,000; hard to get to by rail except from Colchester)
- Sheringham (7,000; end of the line from Norwich)
- Diss (7,000; on the Ipswich to Norwich line)

David